Video distortion

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 18:16:01 UTC 2008

I had previously installed and removed the ati driver (from livna) because
it was causing some distortion on my desktop. I did not have time to deal
with the problem then so its been on the back burner for awhile now. Just
yesterday i reinstalled but nothing appears to have changed. The difference
is now I would like/ want to use 3d acceleration. The distortion appears on
the bottom of the desktop. The top of my screen is reappearing over the
bottom 2 or 3 inches of the screen. The computer remains usable but some
programs are affected more than others by this phenomenon. Obviously I would
like the distortion to go away. I haven't seen this issue using the livna
drivers with other Fedora boxes but those have different video cards than
this one.
My video card is an ATI Radeon X1800 256MB. Is there some modification that
can be made to xorg.conf that will fix this? Has anyone seen this problem?
can anyone point me to a solution? I am in the process of researching a
solution using google, bugzilla, and this list.  Any and all responses
welcome.

Max