I/O Scheduling results in poor responsiveness

Nathan Grennan fedora-list at cygnusx-1.org
Wed Mar 5 18:17:30 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Can you compare to systems with SCSI drives?  I think this is telling
> you that your disk controller is eating all the CPU when the
> controller and DMA should be doing all the work.

  Are you saying you think that the controller isn't using DMA? You
think the controller or driver is just poorly written?

  I will try a SCSI system, but the closest I have is a CentOS 4.6
machine, which using a kernel based on 2.6.9. It is also a server, so I
can't run firefox, thunderbird, xchat, or pidgin on it.