PCI BIOS bug

Lorenzo Ferrajoli ferrajoli at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 09:38:52 UTC 2008

As I understood the problem was "fixed" by Fedora (I use FC8 on an
ASUS MB) adding to the fc8-patched-kernel configuration the following
entry:

CONFIG_PCI_MMCONFIG_OFF_BY_DEFAULT=y

so when you try to copy fc8 configuration file to a vanilla
kernel .config (I tried a 2.6.23.1 vanilla kernel) this parameter is
not recognized: you can make your new kernel, but, if you set ANY in
PCI configuration, you'll have the message:

PCI: BIOS Bug: MCFG area at e0000000 is not E820-reserved
PCI: Not using MMCONFIG.

I suppose that if you set DIRECT (as you can see in a previous
message on this thread) you can get rid of that bios bug message.
Moreover I read that updating the bios had not positive effect but
I'm not yet sure of that.

Lorenzo