how to resize/grow an existing partition

Kevin Kempter kevin at kevinkempterllc.com
Fri Mar 7 13:37:13 UTC 2008

Hi List;

My laptop running Fedora 7 had a 100G SATA drive. I went out yesterday and
purchased a 320G drive.

First I used dd to transfer my entire existing drive to the new drive, it
worked perfectly - I'm typing this on my system via the new drive now.

Can someone give me some guidance per resizing my existing file systems to
take advantage of the new space. If I run resize2fs straight away I get this:

# resize2fs -p /dev/sda5 25G
resize2fs 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
The containing partition (or device) is only 3711007 (4k) blocks.
You requested a new size of 6553600 blocks.

I suspect I need to do something with fdisk first?

Thanks in advance