how to resize/grow an existing partition

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Mar 7 16:35:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 06:37 -0700, Kevin Kempter wrote:
> > Hi List;
> >
> > My laptop running Fedora 7 had a 100G SATA drive. I went out yesterday and
> > purchased a 320G drive.
> >
> > First I used dd to transfer my entire existing drive to the new drive, it
> > worked perfectly - I'm typing this on my system via the new drive now.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something here, but I have to ask why did you do
> this? It would presumably have been easier to a) format your new
> drive and then b) copy all your files to it (using cp, tar, cpio,
> rsync or whatever). I can't see how copying via dd makes any sense
> in this context.

if (and i stress, *if*) dd works, i'm guessing it's going to be *much*
faster since it's working at the raw device level rather than having
to go through the filesystem layer.  personally, i'd probably waste
the extra time with a filesystem-level tool but, if it worked for the
OP, i'll bet it took a lot less time.

on the downside, since the newer drive was much larger, i'm guessing
he managed to make 220G of new disk space inaccessible (unless he did
something clever he didn't tell us about).

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.