usb_serial howto?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Mar 7 17:28:21 UTC 2008

Morgan Read wrote:
> Hello Folks
>
> I need usb_serial module loaded, but it doesn't seem to be available?
>
> [root at morgansmachine ~]# insmod usb_serial
> insmod: can't read 'usb_serial': No such file or directory
> [root at morgansmachine ~]# lsmod | grep usb
> usb_storage            73601  0
> scsi_mod              120013  5 usb_storage,sg,sr_mod,libata,sd_mod
> [root at morgansmachine ~]# rmmod usb_storage
> [root at morgansmachine ~]# lsmod | grep usb
> [root at morgansmachine ~]# insmod usb_storage
> insmod: can't read 'usb_storage': No such file or directory
> [root at morgansmachine ~]#
>
> Hmm, so I can remove usb_storage but can't insert it again - perhaps the
> same is true for usb_serial?  What should I use to load usb_storage and
> usb_serial?  Am I missing something obvious?
>
> Thanks,
> Morgan.
The problem is that insmod need the path and the file name, or needs
to be run in the directory containing the module, and the full file
name. (usb_serial.ko) In most cases, you are better off using
modprobe instead - it only needs the module name, and will take care
of loading any other modules the module you are trying to load needs.

It is like the difference between using rpm to install a package, or
using yum to install it.

Mikkel