wicd - better wireless network manager than NetworkManager?

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 17:52:56 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> Izhar Firdaus wrote:
>
>  >>  > I sincerely hope that applications that don't work well
>  >>  > do _not_ get into Fedora repositories.
>  >>
>  >>  Perhaps when such applications land in a test repo, they get improved
>  >>  upon?
>  >>
>  >>  .... You'd hope so.
>  >
>  > Apps gets better when they have more users and more tests ... Ain't
>  > that Fedora is all about -> pushing these not-yet-good-enough apps to
>  > the masses, so that it issues can be identified, and the apps
>  > development get driven forward.
>
>  No.
>  At least not as far as I am concerned -
>  and I imagine 95% of Fedora users.
>  I want a system that works,
>  or at least that is expected to work.

What do you imagine the other 5% want?

 >  I don't mind what is put in fedora-development.repo
>  as I only look there for specific applications.
>  But I expect packages in fedora-updates to be well-tested,
>  and that is in fact what I have always found.

"Well-tested" and "working well" are two different creatures.  On my
hardware wicd outperforms NetworkManager - no question.  I'm pretty
sure that my case is ultimately a hardware issue, but in *any* case it
would be nice to have an alternate wifi manager that works (better)
when NM refuses to work (well).

2 cents,
Chris