Help to revert from KDE 4

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Mar 7 20:57:36 UTC 2008

R. G. Newbury <newbury <at> mandamus.org> writes:
 >>HELP!...KDE 4 is a bloody disaster. At the moment, I have no KDE
 >>"Start" icon, no panel, and worse yet, NO KONSOLE. I eventually found
 >>that I can start an xterm, by using the 'Run' command, but xterm is
 >>not konsole. The screen appears unstable too...

 >It's not supposed to be that broken!

Well it is!. The screen is not *actually* unstable...after some time, it
switches to  (I guess) a screen saver, which is little pop-up balloons
describing features...gwenview and other programs....Huh????

 >Before you decide to kill KDE 4 outright, make sure you have kdebase
 >and kdebase-workspace installed so you actually see KDE 4 the way it
 >was intended  to work. The kdebase package was split in KDE 4 (there's
 >now kdebase-runtime, kdebase and kdebase-workspace) and upgrades don't
 >always pull in all three pieces.

Well that's really...hmm, what is the word?...bloody stupid! I got
tagged by having fedora-development.repo in my yum.repos.d folder. Kinda
bloody stupid not to have all three in that repo and referenced as
dependencies if the damn thing won't run properly without them.

 >And the easiest way to downgrade is to reinstall Fedora 8 from scratch.
 >Kevin Kofler

And isn't that one HELL of an advert for stupidity too!.

And yes, it is....thankfully I have my data separated but it still takes
a chunk of time, and now I have to re-update and install a whack-o-crap...

Geoff