Is the nvidia proprietary driver much faster (for me) than nv driver?

Brian Chadwick brianchad at westnet.com.au
Sat Mar 8 02:25:15 UTC 2008

Chris G wrote:
> I run fedora 8 and have a "XFX GeForce 7300GS, 256Mb DDR-2 display
> card".
>
> Will using the nvidia proprietary X driver be noticeably faster than
> the 'standard' nv driver?  I don't play any games on my computer but I
> do some graphical stuff, my main uses are:-
>
>     Web browsing using firefox
>     Lots of command line terminal windows
>     digikam photo album
>     VMWare running Windows XP as a guest system
>
> I think the most likely area to be affected by better graphics drivers
> is the VMWare (Workstation 6.0.2 if that's relevant).  Can anyone tell
> me if I'll gain anything by moving to the nvidia drivers?

my experience (i am using a 7600GS), is that the nvidia driver is
definitely better than the open source driver, even if not playing games.

just be careful, and install it from the livna repository, and not from
the nvidia .run file.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2006-February/msg01565.html