I/O Scheduling results in poor responsiveness

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Mar 8 04:08:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 11:18:54 -0500,
  Chris Snook <csnook at redhat.com> wrote:

> At the grub screen, hit 'a' to append kernel arguments, and add
> elevator=deadline to the list of parameters.  If you like the results,
> you can add it permanently by editing /boot/grub/grub.conf.

I gave this a try and my perception is that it helped a bit when switching
windows under high disk IO. It didn't seem to help much with programs
taking a long time to exit. I suspect this might be do to lots of dirty
pages stacking up and then a sync occuring. I'll try playing with the
value for how long they sit around and see if that helps some more.

Thanks for the help with setting the scheduler.