gnome keyring

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 05:46:48 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 12:15 AM, Kevin J. Cummings <
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

> max bianco wrote:
> > When i originally setup Fedora 8 on this laptop i entered the wpa key
> > and it was  added to the  keyring manager(password wallet). So upon
> > logging in the user is asked for the password to the keyring manager,
> > whereupon, if entered correctly, the laptop connects to the wireless
> > accesspoint. All good been working fine until today. The wireless is
> > fine, works great. I am using it now. The keyring manager appears
> > however to have lost the password to the wireless access point. I can
> > still connect, i just have to do it manually. The user is still prompted
> > at logon for the password to the keyring manager but it does not connect
> > to the access point automatically anymore. It had been working just
> > fine. Any ideas as to what might have happened?
>
> No, but if you look in the System Tools menu, there is an entery for
> Keyring Manager.  When you run it, do you see an entry for your wireless
> network?
>
>  You know i could have sworn there was someway to check that but keyring
manager doesn't appear on the system tools menu. I will have to look for a
gui package. I figured it out though in the mean time. Network Manager calls
Keyring  before the wireless is ready to connect. If the user waits until
the taskbar(a visual cue for the user) is done loading and then enters the
keyring password  then everything  proceeds  normally.  If the user  enters
the password as soon as he is prompted and does not wait for the rest of the
desktop to load then he will be forced to connect manually to the access
point. A matter of four or five seconds. We're an impatient lot over here.
Sorry to clog the mail boxes with this foolishness. Hopefully its been
entertaining.

Max