****Re: Help revert from KDE4

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 08:04:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 22:02 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 23:43 -0500, R. G. Newbury wrote:

> > I have since been able to confirm that Fedora now includes the dev repo
> > as it was created/installed by default on the re-install...and I now
> > have another case of library hell underway and will have to nuke the
> > beast and start again, again. Because if ONE important file gets updated
> > you cannot revert it out without removing the 40 packages which depend
> > on it.
> >
> > And no I didn't 'make a backup beforehand'. How could I reasonably make
> > a backup of the entire OS? As it is, my data is on separate partitions.
> > Nuking the / partition is no problem. The waste of time to reinstall is
> > the problem.
> ----
> it's included but not enabled by default
>
> enabled=0
>
> each is clearly labeled this way.
>
> But in reality, this shouldn't be that big of a deal to go to runlevel
> 3, remove KDE-4, disable development if you enabled it, and install kde
> all over again.

I just peeked into my updates email folder and KDE4 is available through
updates without the dev repo being used at all.
Update Information:

This updates the KDE 4 development platform to the stable
release 4.0.0 and Soprano to the stable release 2.0.0 (required
by KDE 4.0.0).

So, it's considered a stable release, resides in updates and if
something decided that KDE4 is a dependency, it'll get dragged in. So,
if he installed Soprano or something that depends on it, he would have
gotten KDE4. Which may have not gotten all three packages installed if a
mistake was made. Maybe when he tries to yum remove it, he'll spot what
the cat drug in. I'd like to hear about that. I guess he might very well
have a beef and chewing the carpet would be a understandable reaction!
It would be in my world, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar