Installing Fedora from a hardrive help.

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Mar 9 01:33:22 UTC 2008

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 02:21:35 +0100
Jason Viloria <jnvilo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I never really understood the need for this install feature because you
> still need a way to boot/start the install somehow by pxe or boot media.

Its really very handy if you already have some version of linux on the
system and you want to install a new one. You can mount the iso image,
get the vmlinux and initrd for the installer off it and make a new
grub entry to boot them, then reboot and choose install from hard
disk, pointing at the iso you just had mounted. No need to crawl under
your desk to get to the DVD drive (or no need for a DVD drive if you are
installing on a system with only a CD). I always do my next new
version of fedora installs this way.