Installing Fedora from a hardrive help.

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun Mar 9 12:57:46 UTC 2008

Jason Viloria wrote:
> But anyhow, you do it by typing "linux askmethod" in the boot prompt, go
> through the usuall install procedures and at one point you arrive to a
> screen where it asks you what method you are going to use, and then at
> another point a screen where it asks you for the details where the image
> is.
- The drive used to have to be formatted to either ext2fs, ext3fs or fat
{is that still the case?}.
- It's easiest to put the iso image in the root of said partition.
- don't expand the image out - it wouldn't be able to find it.
- It can't be on a partition that you want the installer to format.
- You need to remember the partition number eg /dev/sda5 or whatever -
the UI provides no browsing capability.
- for me easiest is to mount and cp or grab from a fedora mirror
images/pxeboot:
     + vmlinux
     + initrd.img
into /boot and then perhaps {don't know if it still works} use loadlin
to boot that image from a running windows {used to work ok in win98}.

Rather than asking us to explain in detail - why don't you ask about
each bit where you are having difficulty ?

DaveT.