wicd - better wireless network manager than NetworkManager?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Mar 9 15:51:12 UTC 2008

Chris Mohler wrote:

> On my hardware wicd outperforms NetworkManager - no question.  I'm pretty
> sure that my case is ultimately a hardware issue, but in *any* case it
> would be nice to have an alternate wifi manager that works (better)
> when NM refuses to work (well).

What is your hardware?
Are you running Fedora-8?

I looked at <http://wicd.sourceforge.net/>
and found rather complicated instructions
for installing under Fedora-7,
at <http://wicd.net/wiki/doku.php?id=fedora>.

Has anyone actually installed wicd under Fedora-8?

I was slightly put off by the statement that wicd
works with both wired and wifi connections.

Personally, I have never, ever, had any problem
with ethernet connections,
and definitely do not want to run any program
which will try to "improve" on this.

One of my main complaints about NetworkManager
is that the developers should concentrate on getting it to work
with as many WiFi devices as possible,
and not concern themselves with Ethernet or Bluetooth,
at least until NM is working on all WiFi devices
that do work under Linux.

I want a WiFi program which gives reasonably helpful error messages
if the connection fails,
preferably better than the standard Linux advice,
"Is your cable connected?".

It's difficult to say whether NM or system-config-network
is worse in this regard.
Can one expect wicd to be any better?

--
Timothy Murphy