Help revert from KDE4

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sun Mar 9 17:08:52 UTC 2008

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> You are apparently right about dev not being enabled by default. It
> is not on this laptop and most assuredly not changed from the
> default on the desktop machine which got screwed.

That's good.  The question then is "where are you getting kde4
packages that replace kde3 on anything other than rawhide?"

I think you should post the output of "yum repolist" so we can see
what repos you have enabled.

> As to 'pretty stupid admin practice', well gee, (said he, chuckling
> too) it was faac or faad or lame or some such which I was trying to
> install so that the configure for mplayer would not barf. Those are
> atrpm rpms, so "please forgive me" for not expecting that I would
> get a whole new desktop too....for free!!! while I was looking
> elsewhere.

Okay, adding atrpms to the mix can surely complicate your life a bit.
If you enable atrpms you can end up pulling in more than you want.
I'd recommend disabling it by default and then selectively enabling it
at the command line when you want to install a specific package from
there.

Also note that you could easily install mplayer and all of its deps
from livna (or atrpms - but don't try mixing the two without a lot of
care).

> And I think I can still call 'stupid' on the maintainers.

No, you can't do that yet.  You've provided no evidence that they made
any packaging mistakes that caused the mess you find yourself in.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked
something.