Shutdown, No Login/Logout Window

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 9 23:52:06 UTC 2008

Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-03-09 at 17:52 -0400, Jim wrote:
>
>> FC8, X86_64, i386 boxes
>> I have  problems Log Out > End Session, takes me straight to the 'shell'
>> , no login/logout Window.
>>
>> At the 'Shell' prompt, login as user and 'startx' , it bypasses user
>> login window and goes right back to Desktop of last user.
>> I have got two x86_64 and one i386 FC 8 boxes that is doing this.
>> Please Help !!!!
>> All three boxes have been fully updated, no more updates avail.
>>

> At shell and as root, try /usr/sbin/gdm-restart and if not in front of
> you, try the F7 vt to see if you see it.

 Mike I should have told you that I'm running KDE in FC 8,
 I'm totally confused, I have a perfect working FC 8 (KDE)box here that
doesn't have 'gdm' installed, no /usr/sbin/gdm-restart.

The box I'm having problem with doesn't have 'gdm' installed either.

If I reboot computer I get the "Login Window"
But when I Logout (From Desktop) > End Session that is when it goes
straight to the Shell.
 From there I have to login and 'startx' that's where it bypasses
'Login' Window and straight to Desktop.

I did a F7 in the 'shell' and all I get is a  ~  .

What would KDE be using for a "Login Window" ?