Interesting Gnome window manager problem - Help

Henrik Frisk frisk.h at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 09:45:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 4:09 AM, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Da Rock wrote:
>  >
>  > The plot thickens...
>  > Metacity is running. Yet it seems only one login is affected by this
>  > monstrosity, other logins appear to be ok (which it never occurred to me
>  > to check before reinstalling Gnome- doh!). So I would logically conclude
>  > that for some reason this login has no access to metacity. Selinux,
>  > perhaps?
>  >
>  > As for compiz- is that desktop effects? It would appear that it may be a
>  > cause. How did you fix that problem? Did updates include anything for
>  > compiz? It seems strange that it would suddenly occur right after
>  > otherwise...
>  >
>  > Thanks for the clues guys. Keep em coming though..
>  >

>  A Screwed up config file would do that, and reinstalling would not fix a
>  specific logins config file.
>
>  I remember that something freaks out like that if you are out of disk space, or
>  cannot access one of the files that it wants.   Is that logins home directory
>  there and does it have the correct permissions?  You might rename the .gnome*
>  directories and either let them be recreated if it will do that or copy in
>  someone elses with the correct permissions and see if it goes away, though on my
>  machine there are 4 separate .gnome* directories, not sure which it is using,
>  some may be from much older versions.
>
>                         Roger
I have had this issue after upgrading to the 2.6.24 kernel on fc8. Was
that one of the updates you did? Try to boot your machine with the
previous kernel (2.6.23.xxx) and see if that fixes the problem.

Unfortunately I don't know what in the 2.6.24 kernel that causes this
(I've tried 3 different compilations of it with the same result) but
I'm trying to figure it out. Any hints would be appreciated.

/Henrik