Syncing Palm device via USB Cable

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 20:09:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 10:11 -0500, pursley1 at netscape.net wrote:

> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 08:20 -0500, pursley1 at netscape.net wrote:
> >
> >> I'm new to Fedora and am still classified have been messing around with
> >> Linux part-time for about a year but am trying to migrate fully to Linux
> >> now and can't seem to get my Palm device to sync.  It connects via a USB
> >> cable and I can even tell you how it appears in the proc file system USB
> >> file when it is activated but how do I tell the software that it's
> >> there?  This is only one of a few things that is hindering my desire to
> >> completely eliminate Windows from my computer (I haven't liked Microsoft
> >> for years).  Any help here?
> >>

> > 1) Make sure you have the pilot-link package installed and up to date.
> > 2) Make sure it works: do 'pilot-dlpsh -p usb:' and play around. Check
> > the man pages for the various pilot-* commands.
> > 3) If you want a GUI front-end pick one (e.g. kpilot, gnome-pilot) and
> > install it.
> > 4) Configure the front-end to use 'usb:' as the Pilot device.
> >
> > poc
> Well, I tested your examples and all of the things you suggested to
> check worked just fine except that none of the front-ends are able to
> connect with it.  I can connect with it manually using the 'pilot-dlpsh'
> command just fine.  I've tried 'gnome-pilot' & 'jpilot' with no success
> at all.

I use kpilot myself, so I can't help you. I would suggest making sure
you have the latest version, and that the front end is configured to use
'usb:' as the device name. Earlier versions of pilot-link had
complicated ways of setting up serial ports, linking to the /dev/pilot
device, loading a 'visor' kernel module etc. etc., all of which gave a
lot of headaches and were unreliable. The current pilot-link uses the
libusb user-land library which is not only more reliable but noticeably
faster, but some of the frontends may not have caught up yet.

poc