NetworkManager 0.7 and static IP - how ?!?

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Mon Mar 10 22:21:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 14:19 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:53:59 -0400
> Rick Bilonick <rab at nauticom.net> wrote:
>
> > I don't see a dhcpd.conf. Could you tell me where it should be?
>
> /etc
>
> > Isn't  this file for controlling the dhcp server daemon on the computer?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Shouldn't this be in some dhcp client config file?
>
> No.  The dhcp server is what provides the address to network manager (and
> anything else that asks for an IP address on your network.)
>
> --

I must be confused. AFAIK, I'm not running the dhcp daemon. My laptop is
running NetworkManager and is asking for an IP address from the wireless
router at home. This works fine. The problem is when I go to work and
plug in the ethernet cable and boot up the laptop. Now nm-applet has a
button for a wired connection (it did this in Fedora 6 but until today
it hasn't done this in Fedora 8). The problem is that it is requesting a
dhcp type wired connection when I need to use a static IP (which I've
configured previously via system-config-network). How do I get the
static IP address using Network Manager/nm-applet given the dhcp daemon
is not running? (I have no dhcpd.config because the daemon has not been
started. AFAIK, there is no reason for my laptop to be providing dhcp
connections.)

Rick B.