Who sets /dev/snd/* owners/perms upon login?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 14:05:18 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 12:50 +0100, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> Dnia 10-03-2008, pon o godzinie 23:25 -0300, Juan Carlos Castro y Castro
> pisze:
>
> > OK, now it got weird. I see the permissions in /dev/snd don't actually
> > change - they're permanently at 0660, owner root:root - and yet I can
> > play sound from a ssh session as a common user. But not from a VNC server.
>
>  Permissions do not change. ACLs do.
> ACLs are in unix world since 1995 or longer. ACL are available in linux
> since about 2001. People should get used to them already.
>
> --
> Tomasz Torcz

# lsattr /dev/*snd*
lsattr: Operation not supported While reading flags
on /dev/snd/controlC0
lsattr: Operation not supported While reading flags on /dev/snd/hwC0D2
lsattr: Operation not supported While reading flags on /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c
lsattr: Operation not supported While reading flags on /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
lsattr: Operation not supported While reading flags on /dev/snd/seq
lsattr: Operation not supported While reading flags on /dev/snd/timer

poc