System crashing when swap hits 25%

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Tue Mar 11 16:53:21 UTC 2008

Simon Slater wrote:
>>> Where do I find these?
>>>
>> There are two interfaces.  One is the /proc/sys directory, and the
>> other
>> is sysctl.  If you want to set something with sysctl, the easy way is
>> add a line in sysctl.conf (for example: vm.overcommit_memory=2) and
>> then
>> run sysctl -p to process the config file again.
>>
> 	Have just been through a few man pages.
> Temporarily, the command sysctl vm.overcommit_memory=2 would do the job?

By itself, probably not.

> What does the value '2' signify?

0 = heuristic overcommit
1 = always overcommit (until completely out of RAM + swap)
2 = overcommit (swap + (vm.overcommit_ratio * RAM))

> What do sysrq-m and sysrq-t do?  I haven't found them yet.

alt+sysrq+m prints memory statistics
alt+sysrq+t prints thread state information

> Oh, currently vm.overcommit_memory=0 and kernel.sysrq=0.

You'll need to set kernel.sysrq=1 for keyboard sysrq input to be
honored.  If you set vm.overcommit_memory=2, then vm.overcommit_ratio
will be honored.

-- Chris