Syncing Palm device via USB Cable

pursley1 at netscape.net pursley1 at netscape.net
Tue Mar 11 17:19:53 UTC 2008

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 02:09 -0500, pursley1 at netscape.net wrote:
>
>> With the help of another person, we were able to deduce that the problem
>> was because of Fedora, which by default, does not give access to the USB
>> ports to users.  There is no group to add to fix this problem and it
>> took changing the global security permissions to allow everyone full
>> access to the ports to get it to work.  This really should be addressed
>> on future versions of Fedora so I don't have to re-fix this problem
>> every time the system updates the security.  How do I recommend it?
>>

> Which ports are you talking about? If you mean /dev/ttyUSB0 etc., these
> only come into existence when a USB device is connected. They are
> configured by the udev subsystem. AFAIK, if you use libusb as I
> suggested, you don't need to worry about this.
>
> poc

Actually, I do use libusb and it *FINALLY* gave me an error telling me
why it didn't make it accessible to users.  The problem was it was
configured to look for a group named "dialout", which Fedora never
created and so was never used.  Not sure why but I added the group and
the problem seems to have resolved.

Bradley