What do you think about compat-wireless, iwl3945, & how does kernel find "updates" modules?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 20:08:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 1:50 PM, John W. Linville <linville at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 01:22:23PM -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:

>  > A case  in point. I have the Intel ipw3945 wireless in a Dell Laptop.
>  > It hardly ever works under the iwl3945 driver in the 2.6.24 kernel
>  > from Fedora, but I have had some luck experimenting with various koji
>  > kernels.  I never could figure out why it would change from day to
>  > day, but I'm getting an idea that it traces back to the
>  > compat-wireless changing from day to day.
>
>  Hmmm...well, my wireless-testing tree changes from day to day.  That
>  tree feeds both the Fedora kernels and the compat-wireless package.
>

>  --
>  John W. Linville
>  linville at redhat.com

Oh, man, I feel like i'm getting very close to understanding what's
going on. The fact that iwl3945 worked today made me feel encouraged.

What we (faceless users) need from you (man behind the curtain)  is a
signal that "now is the right time to try iwl3945 in kernel-XXX".  If
you posted in fedora-devel, I would probably see it.  I can't to try
every kernel listed on koji because every time I install a new kernel,
I have to rebuild the nvidia module and the openafs module driver.  If
I use compat-wireless, I can do the new iwl3945 module without
spending one-half of the day on kernel stuff.

I have to teach and research political science sometimes. It is my job :)

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science