What do you think about compat-wireless, iwl3945, & how does kernel find "updates" modules?

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Tue Mar 11 20:58:57 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 02:08:58PM -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 1:50 PM, John W. Linville <linville at redhat.com> wrote:

> >  Hmmm...well, my wireless-testing tree changes from day to day.  That
> >  tree feeds both the Fedora kernels and the compat-wireless package.

> What we (faceless users) need from you (man behind the curtain)  is a
> signal that "now is the right time to try iwl3945 in kernel-XXX".  If
> you posted in fedora-devel, I would probably see it.  I can't to try
> every kernel listed on koji because every time I install a new kernel,
> I have to rebuild the nvidia module and the openafs module driver.  If
> I use compat-wireless, I can do the new iwl3945 module without
> spending one-half of the day on kernel stuff.

If I knew when people were going to have problems, I'd only merge
bug-free combinations. :-)  In general these drivers are expected
to function.  Indeed for my boxes in my environments they have
generally worked for a long time.  There has been some churn upstream
recently that probably destabilized them -- I assure you that it
was unintentional.

FWIW, you can probably deduce whether or not your wireless is working
w/o having to rebuild those modules you mention.  Anyway, if you are
happy using the compat-wireless package then I am happy for you.

Thanks,

John
--
John W. Linville