printer

Kevin Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Mar 11 21:16:51 UTC 2008

pursley1 at netscape.net wrote:
> Also, as a note, most Lexmark printers are not Linux compatible as
> admitted by Lexmark themselves and most that do can only perform basic
> print functions.  They do, however, offer driver source code that you
> can download to try, which I have never tried myself, and they
> specifically state that there is no promise it will work well.  I
> eventually dumped my Lexmark and got another brand.

Interestingly enough, my Dell 720 Photo Printer works from Linux using a
Lexmark z600cups driver and the z600llpddk package.  Both are available
as RPMs.  From looking at the Lexmark site, they have at least 4 other
model lines supported.  I guess they are hoping that some enterprising
open source engineer will find and use these to develop drivers for
them, as they don't seem to have done any work on these packages recently.

Another thing I noted was that the price of a Lexmark z1300 is in the
$30 ballpark.  Seems like it is cheap enough to just pitch and move on
if you have no satisfaction from Lexmark.

> Del wrote:
>> I  have used the "HP lj 4 plus"driver to print to a variety of
>> printers that were not HP. Just a possibility as I can't test for you.

Del's advice only works if your printer is PCL compatible.  Not every
printer is.  And increasingly fewer are.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net