sendmail/mail/Mail

tony.chamberlain at lemko.com tony.chamberlain at lemko.com
Tue Mar 11 23:11:34 UTC 2008

note: for the following I am using made up names for anonymity of the actual names.

We have a customer, Acme, running Cent Os 4.5 with our software on it. When we encounter a
problem we want to send mail to notify people. I am not asking how to do this because
we already know how. The problem is mail.

The host name is myhost (I am making up names again remember). When I try to send mail from
it I eventually get returned mail, "the domain myhost.localdomain" does not exist (or something like
that). I realize I have to change the hostname to myhost.Acme.COM but I cant' change the hostname
via neat or in the files because it has other implications (mysql and some other software would be
affected).

I tried, without a high expectation, doing something like this:

HOSTNAME=myhost.Acme.COM
Mail tonychamberlain at lemko.com
<etc>

but the mail still came back because that just changed the HOSTNAME variable in my env, not actually the
host name. Is there some way I can actually change hostname just for my environment to get mail sent,
without having to change it for the whole system?