Installing GRUB as the MBR on an ext3 formatted drive using winxp?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 12 05:12:18 UTC 2008

Gareth Marsh wrote:
>> Explain what you mean. Where do you expect linux to boot from?
> I will use isolinux/initrd.img & vmlinuz to boot and install fedora from a dvd iso on the same hdd.
>
> I'm not bothered about what grub will boot yet, I just want to get a hdd bootable with grub using xp (the hdd with xp will be disconnected while the other hdd boots).

Most folk install Linux and grub at the same time, and have grub boot
Windows. In the ordinary course of events, it will just happen.

If you're installing Linux to a second drive, I recommend you put grub
in the MBR of the second drive, and configure Windows to boot that.

Prior to Vista, aim notepad at c:\boot.ini - it's moderately
straightforward, but do take care!

I gather that in Vista boot.ini has gone missing.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait