Wireless newbies -- just try NetworkManager!

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Wed Mar 12 16:17:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, John W. Linville wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 03:37:12PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> John W. Linville wrote:
>>
>>> Please, as the first step in trying to get wireless working on Fedora,
>>> before you do anything else, please just try:
>>>
>>> service NetworkManager start
>>>
>>> Please note that I said to try that _first_.  Specifically, "first"
>>> does not mean "after I ran system-config-network" or "after I started
>>> wpa_supplicant" or even "after I tried to configure things manually".
>>> "First" means _first_.
>>
>> Why?
>> What difference does it make if you try NM first or second?
>
> Obviously you aren't reading other threads...
>
> Quite often someone will create a mess trying all the hard ways to
> get wireless working before they try NetworkManager.  Too often they
> don't clean-up after their failed attempts, resulting in a nightmare
> of conflicting wireless configuration options all trying to control
> the wireless device at the same time.
>
> Why create a mess trying the hard stuff, when you can at least try
> the easy way first?

But if you did not know there was an easy way, what do you have to do
to get back to a clean slate?

I have NM working on my laptop but when I boot it does not start automatically.
I have to start it manually. It is enabled in chkconfig. Once it is running
the wireless works mostly. It sometimes drops the connection but telling NM
to reconnect gets the connection working again. The card is madwifi.

>> Personally, I just want a WiFi application that works.
>> I don't care what it is.
>
> If you "don't care what it is", then you shouldn't object to my
> suggestion of which to try first.
>
>> I'll use the first one I come across that works.
>
> Fine...try NetworkManager first.

+1 NM has come a long way in F8. I used to have to configure my card by
hand. Now NM does it for me.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com