Wireless newbies -- just try NetworkManager!

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Mar 12 16:40:47 UTC 2008

Tom Diehl wrote:
> But if you did not know there was an easy way, what do you have to
> do to get back to a clean slate?

That depends a bit on what someone might have done prior to learning
about and trying NM. ;)

> I have NM working on my laptop but when I boot it does not start
> automatically.  I have to start it manually. It is enabled in
> chkconfig. Once it is running the wireless works mostly. It
> sometimes drops the connection but telling NM to reconnect gets the
> connection working again. The card is madwifi.

What does "chkconfig --list NetworkManager; chkconfig --list network"
output?  I believe you want to see this:

NetworkManager  0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
network         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

This should get a little easier in F9, since NetworkManager should run
by default[1] and the network init script will not.  So the default
should make it much easier for people to follow John's suggestion to
try NM first.

[1] according to the changelog for the initscripts package:
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/rpms/initscripts/devel/initscripts.spec?r1=1.158&r2=1.159

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats.
    -- H.L. Mencken