Wireless newbies -- just try NetworkManager!

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 00:35:07 UTC 2008

John W. Linville wrote:
> I'm posting this message to no one in particular, in hopes that it
> becomes part of the common lore...
>
> Please, as the first step in trying to get wireless working on Fedora,
> before you do anything else, please just try:
>
> 	service NetworkManager start
>
> Please note that I said to try that _first_.  Specifically, "first"
> does not mean "after I ran system-config-network" or "after I started
> wpa_supplicant" or even "after I tried to configure things manually".
> "First" means _first_.
>
> Please?
>
> John

I'm using NM on a clean system, and it works great.
I have a question, though - how can I make it work when I drop to
runlevel 3? Is there some UI or some flag in its configuration that will
tell it to continue working?
 From what I understand, the daemon starts in runlevel 3 and continues
to work just fine when I change 5->3, but since it loses its internal
connection to the nm-applet, it disconnects me from the network.

Thanks!