Remote XWindows

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 19:21:39 UTC 2008

Frank Cox wrote:

>> We use NX from Nomachine.com
>>
>> There is also freeNX based on the above and also the free NX server from
>> the above site will give up to 2 users access.
>
> What advantages do you gain by using NX instead of VNC-over-SSH?

Much, much better responsiveness using much less bandwidth, plus your
choice of suspending or terminating the session as you disconnect.  If
you suspend, everything keeps running until you reconnect, which can be
from somewhere else and even a different client platform.  You can run
the whole session over ssh if you check the advanced/enable ssl box. The
Mac NX client can resize the whole desktop.  I'm not sure if any of the
others can.

> I've been using VNC for several years and there are no user restrictions that
> I'm aware of there.

You can use the freely downloadable NX client with the freenx server
with no restrictions.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com