Wireless newbies -- just try NetworkManager!

Simon Slater pyevet at aapt.net.au
Thu Mar 13 22:50:43 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 19:09 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Surely the rational advice in such a case should be something like,
> "Make sure you are not running the wpa_supplicant service",
> with a brief account of how you can tell ("chkconfig --list").

I didn't understand that before.

> Equally, if system-config-network actually writes "ONBOOT=no"
> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<if>
> then you could simply say "Make sure ... has ONBOOT=yes".

Nor that.

> > If you can figure things out, then do things your own way.  If you
> > want my help, then please do as I ask.  I really don't see how this
> > is controversial or why you seem to have taken offense.
>
> I'm not actually asking for your help.
I will, I'm definitely a wireless newbie, only had a wireless laptop and
printer since Christmas.
> I would like to figure things out,
> But nothing you have said in this thread has helped me to do that,
> ie to understand WiFi under Fedora.

Other than the man pages, where can I find more NM documentation?

> I don't think a wizard that works most of the time for most people
> is really the Linux way.
> Hopefully, a WiFi application should help one not only to connect
> but also to understand what is happening.
> Isn't that really the difference between the Linux philosophy
> and Windows?

Does NM do everything itself? Or are there config files to modify/upset?

Each day and thread (daily threads) on wireless networking I find
useful, but are usually sparse pieces of a big puzzle.  I've read Jean
T's howto  and the TLDP howto a second time now plus chapters fron
various books but understanding of the details is slow in coming. I've
abandoned the F7-F8 upgrade and done a fresh install of F8 to get a
clean slate to understand how to set it up so it works.

--
Regards
Simon