Wireless newbies -- just try NetworkManager!

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Fri Mar 14 02:23:16 UTC 2008

Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com>

Tom Diehl wrote:
> > Mine looks like this:
> > (bullwinkle pts8) # chkconfig --list NetworkManager; chkconfig --list network
> > NetworkManager  0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> > network         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> > (bullwinkle pts8) #
> >
> > If I set the network to off, when I reboot the machine, the rpc and
> > nfs stuff fails to start and I still do not get NM after boot.
> > Starting NM after I login gets the wireless to work.
> >
> > Any other ideas?
>
> The NetworkManager service starts fairly late in the boot sequence
> (and it stops a bit too early on shutdown IMO).  I believe it's going
> to start much earlier in F9.  Combined with the ability to save the
> network config system wide instead of per user, things should be much
> better for using NM in situations like this.

Once it looks like I have a good chance of getting an install of rawhide
and I have a few hours, I plan to upgrade the laptop. Hopefully NM will
work better. I have to say that even with its qwirks NM is working better
than it ever did in previous versions.

> On my laptop, I don't worry about the failure of rpc to start at boot.
> I can still connect to nfs shares on other boxes.  I don't have any
> nfs shares from the laptop to other places.

Normally I would not care either but those failures cause the machine to
hang for a couple of minutes until they timeout. So for the time being
I will live with the current situation.

> I'm afraid I'm not really sure what might be causing NM to drop your
> connection (I am far, far from being any sort of expert :).  I'm
> guessing you've checked that the wpa_supplicant service is not set to
> run automatically?

wpa_supplicant is and always has been off.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Tom