Remote XWindows

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 02:30:13 UTC 2008

Frank Cox wrote:

>> You can use the freely downloadable NX client with the freenx server
>> with no restrictions.
>
> Interesting.  What's the difference between the freenx server (which I see is
> available through a simple yum install) and the one that's sold on that website?

I think the free version lags somewhat behind in features like
audio/multimedia handling and it can't connect to the console display on
:0.  Also, the commercial version always uses the same ssh key that is
included with the client where the freenx version generates a unique key
during the install that you have to copy over to the client before you
can connect.

> (I hadn't realized that there was an unrestricted free implementation of this
> nx thing.  Now it's got my attention.....)

It's packaged - just 'yum install freenx'.  If you work remotely at all
or connect from other platforms it is well worth the trouble to set up.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com