Where's the print que

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Mar 14 06:37:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 22:56 -0500, pursley1 at netscape.net wrote:
> Just a quick question.  I just noticed that there is no installed gnome
> software anywhere in the menus to view the print que for any printer.
> Am I missing something or is it not installed by default?  There isn't
> even a mention of it anywhere in the help files.  The CUPS print manager
> doesn't even have a tab or button for viewing what is in the que that I
> can tell.

Which release of Fedora are you using?

My Gnome desktop (I think in all versions of FC4 through to 7), I have
something that pops up in the notification area of the task bar when the
queue is first printed to.  I recall it being a program called eggcups
in older releases, but FC7 has /usr/bin/system-config-printer-applet as
"Print queue applet" in my session preferences.  If I recall correctly,
for FC8, you should be able to run that program to get the print queue
applet to appear straight away, regardless of whether you've done any
printing, yet.

If you don't mind checking the queue through a web browser, you can
browse over to http://localhost:631/ and do it that way.

There's command line ways of checking, but I'd have to read up about
them before I offered any advice in that direction.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.