Anyone know of good Linux GPS driving map software?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 16:06:02 UTC 2008

Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> I left 25GB for xp to play in on that lappy, but the default boot is to
>>> linux.
>> You'd have a fair chance of making this work if you install the free
>> VMware server on the linux side and configure it to use the windows
>> partiton.  Even better if you create a virtual vmware drive and install
>> windows into it. You'll have to re-activate your xp, perhaps either way.
>>
> Re-activate?  AFAIK, it still works, dual boot setup from the gitgo.

With VMware you don't have to dual-boot.  You can run both at once.  In
fact if you have enough RAM you can run several virtual machines with
the same or different OS at once - and you can pick which one sees real
hardware components like the CD and USB ports.

> OTOH, if Bill has had his folks figgur out a way to reach through linux, and
> trash the xp partition, well, sniff.  On second thought, Nah, I won't miss
> it.  The warranty is about up, and when its done, so is xp anyway.

XP sees different hardware when running under VMware (because it is a
virtual emulation), which will trigger the license request.  I've
forgotten if this applies every time you switch between VMware and
normal booting when you run from a native partition or not.  You can
probably get away with calling Microsoft a few times, telling them
something broke or you had a virus and had to re-install since that's
such a likely scenario...

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com