Copying a Hard Disk Containing Windows With Fedora

Markus Kesaromous remotestar at live.com
Fri Mar 14 22:53:51 UTC 2008

You misunderstood, and I was not clear enough
by saying incredibly slow.

I meant that the clonezilla  package is an ISO you
must burn to cdrom and boot from it.
Once booted, and you select to clone disk to disk or
partition to partition (which was the case I used), it
took it 6 hours to finish cloning a 42 GB partition,
of which only 17.5GB were in use (according to clonezilla).

The speed of disk write that I tested using dd is about
25 megabytes/s. I got this when I first used dd to clone
one partition to the other:
time dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdc1 bs=128M

I chose 128M blocksize to minimize number of calls to read/write

System has 2GB of of ram. Even while the dd was running, I had plenty of
free ram. The program top showd the process dd with RSS of 128M
which means it was not swapping out/in any pages of the dd io buffer.

At anyrate, clonezilla is supposed to do the right thing, but I am still
not able to boot the resulting disk. It gets as far as the windows logo
splash screen then it reboots.

-Markus