Copying a Hard Disk Containing Windows With Fedora

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 23:16:26 UTC 2008

Markus Kesaromous wrote:
> You misunderstood, and I was not clear enough
> by saying incredibly slow.

No, I think I understand, but I don't think it is typical.

> I meant that the clonezilla  package is an ISO you
> must burn to cdrom and boot from it.

That's the clonezilla-live variation.  You can also make a bootable USB
drive or use the full version in network boot mode with it's  companion
package DRBL.  But you end up running the same thing in all cases.

> Once booted, and you select to clone disk to disk or
> partition to partition (which was the case I used), it
> took it 6 hours to finish cloning a 42 GB partition,
> of which only 17.5GB were in use (according to clonezilla).

I've always saved an image an written it back, but that sounds like it
should have taken about an hour or less.  I'm not sure why it would be
so slow in your case.  For a straight disk->disk I would use dd even
though that normally takes longer because you copy even the unused parts.

> At anyrate, clonezilla is supposed to do the right thing, but I am still
> not able to boot the resulting disk. It gets as far as the windows logo
> splash screen then it reboots.

If your hardware isn't exactly the same you need to run sysprep before
doing an image copy so it will re-detect the new hardware at bootup.
You might try hitting F8 as it boots to see if you can get the prompt
for safe mode or logging to see if you can tell what is broken.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com