Kernel 2.6.24 -- gee that was fun...not!

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Mar 15 10:56:07 UTC 2008

Paul Lemmons wrote:
> I have been using Fedora since core 2 and I have never had any problems
> with a kernel update. Yesterday that changed the new 2.6.24 kernel. I

You have been lucky!

> booted the system and got to see it panic and halt. It appears that it
> was doing something with networking, but that is not for sure. I gather
> that by looking at what it barfed on my screen and picking out the big
> pieces :)
>
> I have uploaded a smolt profile of my machine. If you have the same
> difficulty you may want to look and see if you see any overlap.
>
> http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_bbdcaa05-e7bd-4ad7-83ca-f822b5b0fb7f
>
> Recovery was a pain...
>
> 1) Remove all traces of new 2.6.24 kernel
> - I could remove the new kernel, devel fairly easily
> - removing the kernel-headers took a lot of friends with it
>   - tracked the dependences to reinstall later

Strictly speaking none of that is necessary. I've had something like
half a dozen .25 kernels installed, none working. For a time I was
booting a .23 kernel then I found a .24 kernel that works.

Yum is being stupid about it, so I had to "rpm --erase --justdb" the
known good kernel.

Certainly there's no need to remove the kernel headers.

> 2)  Tried to install the 2.6.23 headers and devel
> - none of the repos had the "old" kernel files
>   - after much searching I found:
Dodgy.

> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=35322
>      - got headers and devel packages
>      - rpm -ihv the devel and header rpms
>
> 3) Nvidia drivers messed up on 2.6.23
>   - Tried to install livna Nvidia drivers
>      - always tried to drag in the 2.6.24 kernel
>      - could not find a way around it
>
> 4) Reinstalled development environment lost in step 1
>   - yum install gcc gcc-c++ gcc-java rpmdevtools
>   - will go back and get the others later
>
> 5) Nvidia the hard way
>   - yum erase kmod-nvidia*
>   - download the driver:
>      - wget
> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/169.12/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run
>
>   - Turn off Xserver
>      - telinit 3
>   - Install the driver
>      - sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run
>   -  reboot
>
> 6) sigh with relief as I see my twin-view screens come up correctly
> 7) share experience here
> 8) will exclude kernel from yum update until 2.6.25 comes out.
>   - I see on this list that others have had success with it.

Not all of us on the development branch think .25 wonderful.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait