battery level from command line

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Mar 15 14:27:13 UTC 2008

Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:10:42 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
> [...]
>> You can try acpitool.
>>
>> acpitool -b
>>     or
>> acpitool -B
>>
>> Mikkel
>> --
> [...]
>
> I just yum'ed this and tried it.  I am surprised at the
> large difference between the "Design Capacity" (6000 mAh)
> and the "Last Full Capacity" (4032 mAh).
>
> Mike.

You will find this as the battery ages. There is a smart chip in the
battery that keeps tract of this, and reports it to the computer. If
you have more then one battery, the numbers will change when you
change batteries. From what I have read, you do need to cycle the
battery so the chip can properly calibrate battery life.

Mikkel