Evolution (again)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Mar 16 21:07:14 UTC 2008

On Sunday 16 March 2008, Ric Moore wrote:
>On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 01:14 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >Gnome Control Center->Preferred Applications->Mail Reader. Note that it
>> >has nothing to do with FF as such; it's a desktop setting.
>> >
>> >poc
>>
>> As I said, I'm running kde, and there is no such thing in its control
>> center. In "control center->kde components->Email client" screen, the use
>> kmail button is checked.  For FF3b4, no effect.
>
>Ah! Gene! But there is such a thing, it's just a little obscure. Lemme
>see here, aha! Found it: go into control center to:
>KDE Components --> Components Chooser --> Email Client --> check Use
>different email client --> enter "evolution" (all lower case) in the
>box. Click "apply" in the lower right hand of the page and you're set.
>I also have "mozilla-firefox" enabled in "Web Browser" on the same page
>in Component Chooser.

That menu did indeed have the kmail buitton checked.  I changed it to other,
and then specified other=/usr/bin/kmail.  Even with that, FF3b4 kept assuming
I wanted the mailto: link to be handled by Evolution. And it was Evolution I
was trying to get rid of.  I don't need some gnome app walking all over the
system changing my prefs without bothering to ask me.  I have my email system
setup and working quite well.  Gnome thinks its running the show here, and to
get along with me, its going to have to develop some manners, something gnome
has yet to demonstrate to me.  I give gnome as much respect as it gives me,
which isn't very much.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)