update of f8 crashes ifcfg.ethx

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 09:47:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 07:58:08 +0100, François Patte wrote:

> I updated my laptop two days ago and I got no network after reboot.... I
> found that there were no more ifcfg-eth0 nor ifcfg-eth1....
>
> I thought that I had done some mistake.
>

> I updated my desktop yesterday and every network interface has been
> crushed....
>
> What is responsible?

See the older/corresponding threads on fedora-test-list,
fedora-devel-list, also the tickets in the Fedora Update System
"bodhi".

The kernel-2.6.24.3-* updates trigger this, when upgrading from
kernel-2.6.23*, and the ifcfg files get renamed to *.bak

Whether it also happens when upgrading from 2.6.24.3 to later
kernels, I don't know.

It could have been discovered while the first F8 kernel-2.6.24.3
update was in updates-testing for almost a week. But if that would
have been a reason to block the update, is still unclear. Refer to
the other threads about problems with the F8 kernel updates.