OT? Help to compile program - ac_nonexitent.h

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Mar 18 18:32:57 UTC 2008

Robin Laing wrote:
> I am trying to compile a program that there is no RPM for.  I hope
> to use this experience to learn how to make RPM's as well.

:)

> I am starting to use Atmel AVR's and I want to try this program.
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/simulavr/
>
> (The latest tar file is dated 2008-03-16)
> http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/simulavr/
>
> I am looking at other options as well.
>
> While trying to compile the program, I have installed most of the
> devel and libs so I only get three or four error messages when
> running ./configure
>
> One of them that I cannot find any answers to is where do I find
> ac_nonexitent.h.  I have searched Google (31,800 hits) and I see
           ^ an 's' is missing, isn't it?
> that this is a common question for many users but I never see an
> answer.  Two days of looking and I am no closer to an answer.  I did
> solve the issue with vfork.h (use unistd.h) this morning. :)
>
> As others have asked in my searches, I have errors when compiling
> and trying to fix all the ./configure issues first.

Does configure exit cleanly or does it throw an error when this
happens?  I *think* that ac_nonexistent.h is something autoconf uses
to test and isn't supposed to exist.  (But I've not found that
documented ATM.)  I can tell you that a similar message is found in
the config.log of some software I successfully build all the time.

What errors are you getting from make?  It might be worth posting a
link to the output from ./configure && make (and perhaps also the
config.log file).

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by
those who don't have it.
    -- George Bernard Shaw