fedora-list Digest, Vol 49, Issue 116 (Should be CUPS and Samsung ML-2510 printer)

Rodney Morris rodamorris at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 23:40:10 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>  Rodney Morris wrote:
>
>  > Ubuntu ships with the splix drivers, not a proprietary driver.  (At
>  > least this is true for Hardy Heron.)  The splix source is available
>  > from splix.ap2c.org.  You will need the cups-devel and cupsddk
>  > packages installed to compile and install the splix drivers.
>  > Unfortunately, to my knowledge, the splix has not been packaged for
>  > Fedora.
>
>  Fedora doesn't package non-upstream kernel modules as separate packages
>  within the repository anymore. Either the kernel package is directly
>  patched or the module doesn't exist within the official Fedora repository.
>
>  Rahul

My use of the word "driver" here is a bit of a misnomer.  SPLIX is a
set of CUPS filters for many Samsung laser printers, not a kernel
level driver.  I've had great success using the SPLIX filters with my
ML-2510 printer.  My use of the word "driver" to describe these
filters is a hangover from my Windozzzze days.

Rod