Opinions on Adaptec SATA HostRAID?

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Wed Mar 19 18:53:53 UTC 2008

Steve Snyder wrote:
> I'm thinking of using the embedded Adaptec SATA HostRAID functionality on
> my Supermicro X7DWA-N motherboard.
>
> Does anyone have any experience using Adaptec's HostRAID with Fedora
> 7/8/9?  Any success or horror stories to relate?
>
> Any information would be appreciated.

HostRAID is just software RAID implemented in a device driver.  It was
originally intended for use with operating systems that lack a generic software
RAID implementation.  Since Linux has a robust and well-optimized generic
software RAID implementation (two of them, actually), it's rather silly to use
HostRAID under Linux.

-- Chris