backup

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Mar 19 21:33:45 UTC 2008

On 19Mar2008 17:24, Tom Holroyd <tomh at kurage.nimh.nih.gov> wrote:
| Show of hands: compress backups? Or 1:1 copy.

My choice? No per file compression. Let the storage substrate compress if
possible - eg modern tape drives do it on their own. Or if it doesn't, you
might compress the "archive of everything" file (eg a tar or dump file).
Otherwise you have to do "special" stuff on restore; it's untidy.

This position is a gross simplification of things of course.

Example: there are systems I backup with rsync to a new hardlinked tree from
yesterday's snapshot. Obviously this is 1:1, with incremental cost.  It goes
to tape from an uncompressed tar file because the tape drive does some
compression.
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

MS-DOS, you can't live with it, you can live without it.
        - Lars.Wirzenius at helsinki.fi