backup

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Mar 19 22:30:08 UTC 2008

Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 19Mar2008 17:24, Tom Holroyd <tomh at kurage.nimh.nih.gov> wrote:
> | Show of hands: compress backups? Or 1:1 copy.
>
> My choice? No per file compression. Let the storage substrate compress if
> possible - eg modern tape drives do it on their own. Or if it doesn't, you
> might compress the "archive of everything" file (eg a tar or dump file).
> Otherwise you have to do "special" stuff on restore; it's untidy.
>
> This position is a gross simplification of things of course.
>
> Example: there are systems I backup with rsync to a new hardlinked tree from
> yesterday's snapshot. Obviously this is 1:1, with incremental cost.  It goes
> to tape from an uncompressed tar file because the tape drive does some
> compression.
If the storage device does not do compression, then from a
reliability standpoint, you are better off with per file compression
as opposed to total backup compression. The reason for this is that
if a compressed file gets corrupted, you lose that file, but if a
compressed back gets corrupted, you have a hard time recovering the
files after the corruption.

Mikkel