backup

Nicholas Robinson npr at bottlehall.co.uk
Thu Mar 20 06:27:58 UTC 2008

On Thursday 20 March 2008 00:08:41 John Thompson wrote:
> I use tape with hardware compression and error correction. Before that I
> used afio, which compresses files individually as it places them in an
> archive. That way corruption in one file does not affect the rest of the
> archive.

When I first started working in the early 80s I worked with an operations
manager who had started when Turing was a boy and his view was it didn't
matter what you did with backups so long as you verified them. At last then
you would be certain that you had something to restore should the need arise.

Admittedly in those days, media was much more unreliable, which was his main
concern, but it still seems good advice as it would pick up corrupt files or
archives as well - and did for me last year when I had a bad DVD.

Nick