How to fix two disks with the same Volume Group?

Luciano Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Thu Mar 20 11:38:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 08:58:04PM +1000, Da Rock wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 10:22 +0000, Luciano Rocha wrote:
> > You can use the install/recovery disc for Fedora. On the command line,
> > you'll have to prefix the lvm commands with lvm, like this:
> >
> > lvm pvscan
> > lvm vgscan
> > lvm vgchange
> >

> Good to know- a shortcut. Is this under repair on the install cd?

Yes, or you can boot to the installation screen, then switch to the 2nd
console (ctrl+alt+f2), where you'll find a command prompt.

> > 1. edit grub.conf, change root= to the new name
> > 2. edit etc/fstab, change swap, root, etc. to use new name
> > 3. re-create initrd, as it has the vg name hardcoded:
> >    mkinitrd -f -v /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`
> >
> > You can do this while the system is running, and then reboot. No need
> > for recovery/lice cd (if everything goes fine; you'll need it if the
> > system no longer boots).
> >

> Surely not if you've just changed the name using the repair disk? But
> very succinctly put- I've only done this once and it took several hours
> following from instructions on a page. I had trouble remembering the
> exact steps myself.

Yes, if the change was made in the repair disk, the kernel version will
probably be different, and the paths are relative to the system's root.

But the rename can be done while the system is running, so only the
followin pass is missing:
0. vgrename ...

> > I'd suggest that new Fedora releases create a random name for the VG and
> > that their initrd/nash support getting the vg from the root= kernel
> > command line.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Luciano Rocha
>
> You don't think setting it to the machine name is any good? Given
> current install procedures, what do you suggest to prevent this?
> Obviously something manually.

Currently the filesystem is defined before the network (and, thus, the
hostname). Also, you might have two different installations with the
same hostname (like a new install to a new set of hard disks).

But I do use the hostname as the VG, so I think that's best, probably
with current date appended (like: hostname080320).

Regards,
Luciano Rocha

--
lfr